Friday, June 02, 2006

hark! do I hear whistling?

They say hope springs eternal, and that's surely a useful concept to embrace. So, although in my heart of hearts I felt sure Fatty had not been perusing my blog, I asked a tentative question:

"So, are you planning on doing any whistling later today?"

Now you would think this was a rather odd question, wouldn't you? You are probably thinking right now Why did she ask THAT? Fatty MUST have queried why she would say such a thing! But, no, no, you ignorant-of-the-ways-of-Fatty people. You forget he is NOT a curious man. You forget he is NOT fascinated by his utterly fascinating wife (outrageous!). So his reply went something like this:

"Whistling? No, no whistling. You know, I've never been able to whistle very well." (begins to demonstrate.....various hissing/faint whistling noises emanate from Fatty's pursed lips) "I can't hold a tune for some reason." (warbling whistling starts up again)

I smile with my back to Fatty, as I stand at the kitchen counter. He may be somewhat less intrigued by my thoughts than I'd like, but I am amazed at how he has reacted to my opening conversational gambit. I'm sure anyone else would have snorted, "Whistle? Later this evening? What the hell are you talking about, woman?". Dear Fatty must be so used to the weird workings of my mind that he simply 'goes with the flow'. Possibly it would be exhausting to be too curious about how my mind works.

I turn back to my gorgeous, bad-whistling, accepting husband. "I can whistle pretty well, actually." I launch into a lilting rendition of 'How Much Is That Doggy in the Window?'. Fatty laughs. I bring our coffees over to the couch.

And there was no more whistling of any kind.

**************************************************
ADDED NOTE: I can see from the comments so far that I need to clarify something. Fatty and I had coffee on the couch. You know, made from beans, a hot beverage. Coffee! So stop with the sniggering and giggling.
And, no, whistling isn't some sort of a prelude to intimacy in Australia, unless you count the wolf whistle. And frankly I don't think wolf-whistlers quite have romance in mind!

That said, I think whistling to indicate interest in a romantic interlude is a mighty fine idea - thanks Susan! Perhaps, 'How Much is my Doggy...' was just not the right song choice! Now, how would I whistle, 'Sea of Love'?.......

13 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds like what you got was way better than a whistle. :-)

I can't whistle. Never have been able to.

Susan Tidwell said...

Down under, is whistling considered romantic? A possible prelude to a big event? Curious, never thought of it like that. Now I will wonder every time I hear whistling, what the real meaning is...

Hope you got lucky, I mean had a good cup of coffee on the couch.

Motherkitty said...

You two are such a cute, romantic pair and your rituals should be documented for emulation. Did you enjoy your coffee on the couch? Just wondering.

Franny said...

Ha ha ha, I think I am gonna try to sugget romantic overtures in my blog and see what happens...

John Cowart said...

One reason I listen to Ginny is that she often says such nice things about ME!

Nothing gets my attention faster than to hear her compliment ME.

The woman is a fascinating conversationalist.

Oh, by the way, she read my blog this morning.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

So, I'm assuming by your post that Fatty did not read your blog.

Redneck Mommy said...

Cute, very cute.

By the way, I tried your suggestion about the strip tease in the geriatric ward: they all died laughing... hee hee. Just kidding. I did go about and say hello to some of the elderly and got roped into ninety minute conversations about our local politicians... So I thank you for that.

Today I will stick with the pediatric ward. I'm sure some five year old will appreciate my potty humour. Too bad my daughter doesn't...

Jellyhead said...

Sandy, that's a definite negative, as in - NO the evil man did NOT read my blog. Did not, does not, undoubtedly will not in the future!

I have not discussed this with him. No point in having him read my blog out of a sense of obligation. It has to be spontaneous interest, or I'm not interested in him reading it in the first place!

Thank goodness for my blogpals :)

doubleknot said...

Whistling in prelude to a comfortable snuggle sounds good to me - now I just have to learn to whistle and see if my room mate dares to let me near him with his sore arm.

Anonymous said...

Well thank you for clearing that up...heehee!

manababies said...

Hehe. I think it's so cute that you sit at the couch to have coffee. And honestly, am I just naive because I don't see how having coffee can be misconstrued to be something else.

cmhl said...

oh my.... hahah!!! I'm sensing undertones in this post!

Kerri said...

You, my dear Jelly, are hilarious :)
I'm chuckling with my morning coffee here at the computer in rainy old NY :) Thanks Jelly, I need cheering on this drab, gray morning.
Aren't those girls naughty?
Ross has succumbed to reading my blog and others with an "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude. Although I do think he's genuinely interested now...not necessarily in mine, but others :)
I think there's hope for Fatty yet...to learn how to whistle, that is ;)