Thursday, January 25, 2007

absence makes the heart .... go to the movies!

I know maybe I should be pining more, but truthfully I am relishing the opportunity to be lazy, and to hang about with my beloved. Yes, it is true, Fatty and I are sans children. My mother has whisked them away. Part of me misses their sweet rosy cheeks, but another part of me can hardly believe our luck!

It started as a simple plea for childcare today for Laura (school doesn't resume here until this coming Monday, and both Fatty and I work Thursdays). Before I knew it, Mum had concocted an evil plan to spirit both my offspring away to the farm - leaving the night before and staying over the next night too. The oddest thing was, our home-loving Ben actually wanted to stay two nights, and has not changed his mind!!

Last night, Fatty was on call, so we didn't go out, but ordered child-unfriendly food (lots of sashimi) and ate it with chilled wine on the back deck. We then ate chocolate and watched a DVD.... without having to attend to kids at all. It was so relaxing to just flop onto couches and watch a movie together.

So, what to do tonight, what to do? Will we eat out, will we see a movie? I think doing both sounds good!

*PS Mum, if you're reading this - wanna do this again next week? he he*

18 comments:

rel said...

Jelly,
Oh what a delight you are!
Enjoy. Hold hands and remember why you fell in love.
rel

Anonymous said...

We used to get a babysitter every so often and tell the kids we had to go to a meeting - a 'mental health meeting'. Then off to the movies! Everyone benefits, they probably welcome the break as much as you do! Enjoy!

Motherkitty said...

Aren't grandmothers great? That's our job -- to ease the burden on stressed-out children all the while having the grandchildren ALL TO THEMSELVES for a short time to love and play with (without interference from the parents). Then, evil ones that they are, when the kids get tired, cranky, and homesick, they send them back to the parents to let them deal with the little darlings.

Hope you enjoy your days and nights alone to refresh, relax, and get to know each other better!

Heather said...

I'm so glad you got another night to do grown-up stuff!

Mackey said...

I wish I had a Gramma like you.
Lucky duck!
Enjoy your time with Fatty.....don't do anything I wouldn't do:P

Anonymous said...

Sounds like such bliss! Enjoy!

Jellyhead said...

Rel, why are you always so sweet to me? :-) I followed your wise counsel, of course!

Susan, thanks for telling me about your 'mental health meetings' when your kids were young ..... I sometimes feel guilty for 'escaping', so it's good to hear you believe in time away, too.

Motherkitty, grandmothers ARE great! I'm sure Alipurr loves having your help as much as I love it when my mum babysits. I bet you would be kind but firm, fun yet safe.... everything a good Grandma should be!

Heather and Meggie, I am sooooo lucky, hey?! Thanks for saying hi!

Mackey, it's nice of you to caution me and all, but I reckon there's not much you wouldn't get up to ;-) (So no, I swear I did *not* do anything you wouldn't do!)

Michelle said...

I think the best nights are the great nights in - great food, good wine and NO ONE yelling MUM!!!

Anonymous said...

I never seem to get all three kids out at the same time... lucky you,

Val said...

I remember those days of needing an escape. And I rejoice with you, Jelly!

John Cowart said...

Don't tell the preacher, but when our kids were little, we'd drop them in Sunday School and sneak off to breakfast by ourselves... That was the greatest ministry the church ever did for us!

Kerri said...

Lucky you, lucky Jellyma!! That's a win-win situation! How I wish we were close enough to take our 2 little guys overnight occasionally. We may get the chance to have them for a few days next summer, or at least one of them. We're hoping!
I'm so glad you and Fatty had a couple of nights to yourselves...wouldn't it be lov-er-ly? And it was! :) Good for you! xox

Franny said...

Thats wonderful! Good for you hon...as much as I love my kids, I don't need to be with them every second of my life. I enjoy the time away to recharge. And you should too.

Sharon said...

That's wonderful! Enjoy!!

Redneck Mommy said...

Another reason why I adore your mother.

My husband and I look forward to our alone time. It happens few and far between. Once we get past the initial "what do we do now" phase, it always manifests itself into a gentle reminder of why we married in the first place.

Here's to the same for you and Fatty.

Anonymous said...

Bliss - how nice for all of you. I hope the kids had as much fun as you evidently did :)

Alice said...

I hope you and Fatty had a wonderful time just being together together! I'm sure your Mum and Laura and Ben had a great time, too.

My paternal grandparents died in England before I was born, and I didn't have a great deal to do with my other grandparents. Maybe that's one reason I'm always happy to spend time with my three delightful grandchildren.

Alipurr said...

wow, that sounds amazing! A whole DVD and a meal, just you and hubby! Hurray!