Saturday, May 10, 2008

for my mother

I remember how you comforted me whenever I was scared in the night.

I remember how you drew a princess for me, in coloured chalk. She was the prettiest princess I had ever seen.

I remember how you answered my questions so patiently, day after day.

I remember how you made me dresses of all different colours and patterns - my favourite was the strawberry dress.

I remember when I was ten and my best friend moved away, and I sobbed in your lap like a small child. You held me quietly; you didn't offer platitudes. You just let me be sad until I felt better again.

I remember how you always told me I was beautiful. When I was a gawky, awkward teen, it meant a lot to me that at least one person in the whole world thought I looked lovely.

I remember how when I was in my final years of high school, you would bring me a cup of tea and a piece of cake, while I was studying.

I remember one night, before a major exam, when I couldn't sleep, and you came and rubbed my back for an hour or more. I had to pretend to be asleep, so you would finally go and get some sleep yourself.

I cannot remember you ever yelling at me. I remember you being angry a few times (and I always deserved it), but I never remember you screaming. Now that I am a mother myself, this fact astonishes me!

I remember you meeting Fatty, and telling me later, approvingly, "Oh, he LOVES you!" You have never criticised my husband, nor my siblings' spouses. You treat our partners like your own family.

I remember you holding my daughter, your first grandchild, and looking radiant and overjoyed. You brought your mother to see Laura, too, that day, and there were four generations of women all together in the hospital room.

I remember when I was tired and emotional, and trying to settle my infant daughter in her cot, and you came and stood with me, and told me I was doing a good job. You didn't make suggestions, or take over. You simply told me I was a good mother. Your words filled me with pride, and with new energy.

I remember how, every year around the time of our wedding anniversary, you have cared for our children so Fatty and I can spend time away together.

Each Mother's Day, I remember anew that I have been blessed with a mother with profound patience, kindness and strength. You have loved and accepted me just as I am, all my life. You continue to have faith in me, even though I know I am different to you.

Mum, I count my lucky stars that you are my mother, and I love you with all my heart.

16 comments:

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

What wonderful praises for your mother Jelly! You are indeed one of the lucky ones to have such a loving mother and she's lucky too, to have such an adoring daughter in you.

One day Laura & Ben will be singing praises to you too! Not that they aren't now, but I mean when they get older and have children of their own.

Happy Mother's Day to You and to your sweet Jelly Mum.

Motherkitty said...

Happy mother's day to someone very special.

Mimi said...

How beautiful Jelly, you certainly are fortunate!

Mimi

thisisme said...

Jelly, that is just beautiful to read. Happy Mothers Day to your mum, and to you!

Stomper Girl said...

How beautiful. Happy Mother's Day. I bet she cries when she reads this!

She never yelled?! How is that even possible? You must have been a very good child Jellyhead.

rel said...

Jellyhead,
That is beautiful!
Happy Mum's day to you.
rel

Susan Tidwell said...

Happy Mother's Day!!

Such sweet memories you have, thanks for sharing. Hope you have a great day!

Alipurr said...

awwww, how sweet. Love hearing your memories. Happy Mother's Day!

Nestor Family said...

This is a beuatiful tribute to your mother, Jelly! Well done!

Happy Mother's Day!

Alice said...

There's not a mother alive who could wish for a more sincere and loving tribute.

Thank you, Jelly, for making us all think back over the blessings we received from our own mothers.

I'm sure you are like your mother in more ways than you think.

TUFFENUF said...

Jelly, Your Mum sounds like she wrote the book on motherhood. We should all strive to be such good mothers! You are very lucky- but you know that!

meggie said...

What a beautiful tribute, to an obviously beautiful mother!
I was an adult, before I realised with surprise, that my mother was actually proud of me. I loved her dearly though.

fifi said...

You have a lovely mother, and she is certainly blessed having you in her life.


You must have been such a lovely little jellygirl!
I was a little weirdo...a challenge for any mother...

freefalling said...

Could I borrow this and give it to my Mum?
Your Mum sounds a lot like my Mum (except for the yelling bit).
Ain't we lucky?
Can you imagine what it must be like to not have one
or have one that struggles with the job?
My Mum is actually sitting here quietly next to me,
sipping her cup of tea and reading a magazine while I type this.
She came down from Queensland to visit me for a week - we are having a luffly time.

(once again - beautifully written - you got a gift, you know?)

Kerri said...

Awwwww! How beautiful Jelly. You are a tender, loving person because of your tender, loving mum. How lucky you are to have each other.
Happy belated Mother's Day to both you and your lovely Jellyma :)
xoxoxoxo

Noella said...

What beautiful writing on your Mum, Jelly! (May I call you Jelly?) You and your Mum sound like lovely people.

Thanks for sharing these loving words.