Saturday, June 28, 2008

tropical tripping


Last year, around this time, my dear friend Chooky whisked me away for a birthday treat weekend up north. We sat on the beach and talked, we dangled our legs in the pool whilst drinking mango daiquiris, we ate lunch on a veranda looking straight out to the azure blue waters you can see in this photo. That night we ordered room service, drank hot chocolate with marshmallows, and watched 'Under the Tuscan Sun' on DVD.
I should make it clear that Chooky is not a wealthy woman. She just scrimped and saved to do something truly special for me. Most years we celebrate each others' birthdays with cards and small, inexpensive gifts. Sometimes we make more of a fuss, and last year was the fuss to end all fusses. I had such a brilliant time. And I was so blown away by the beauty of the place that I vowed to drag husband and kids to the same town one day.
So, one year later, I am travelling with my small family in tow, back to this wondrous place. It will be a different sort of holiday - less lolling and chatting, and more snorkelling, swimming and sandcastling. But there'll still be that blue water and that soft sunshine.There'll still be that fine white sand to walk along, hand in hand with my husband, as we watch the kids run ahead of us.
I say bring it on.

12 comments:

rel said...

Jellyhead,
What a wonderful sense of wonderment you have. Wrap yourself in the pleasures of family, memories and love.
rel

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Oh, how I wish I was going on that vacation with you. It sounds like such a wonderful place to be right now. Have fun.

About vomiting....
Nausea is something I can do without and I would gladly up-chuck if I know the nausea will go away.

Andrew McAllister said...

Hey, soak up a few rays for me!

Thought you might like to know that I've started posting Dismaying Stories again. Drop by if you get a chance.

TUFFENUF said...

Take lots of photos to share with us stay-at-homers! We enjoy your vacations almost as much as you do! Take a nice break from work & enjoy yourself!

meggie said...

You deserve it all Jelly. Enjoy!!

Nestor Family said...

Oh, that all sounds so wonderful, Jelly! Have a great time!

fifi said...

what, no mango daiquiris?????

I am heading for somewhat colder climes for the july hols.

Mackey said...

Make time for a few daiquiris though:)

thisisme said...

Oh, that sounds wonderful. I hope you all have a magical time.

freefalling said...

Ohhh - THAT's where you are?!
I thought you dropped off the perch.

I'm feeling very jealous.
I was looking at my beach photos today - yearning.
And my sister and her family are off to Noosaville this week - sigh.
And you are painting pictures of lazy , joyful sunny days.
There's a-ticklin' in my feet!

Mimi said...

Looks like a beautiful place and I hope you had a great time.

Mimiu

Dragonfly said...

Awesome.... (And Under the Tuscan Sun is, like Love Actually, a guilty pleasure of mine).