Tuesday, January 06, 2009

New Year

I find myself starting 2009 with a curious mixture of anticipation and trepidation. I'm looking forward to many things, and yet I am fearful of others. I am counting all my blessings, but looking over my shoulder as well. I know the anxiety is pointless, because 'que sera sera' - it's just how I am right now. I think having my brother in a war zone is messing with my head a bit. But he has made it in safely, and his position does not put him at the front line. Of course, I still worry.

It's been fun having time at home with my kids, as they enjoy their school holidays. Laura is drawing some fabulous, inventive pictures, and mucking about with plasticine. Benjamin is reading more every day, and watching documentaries about animals mating ('Whoops!' I thought as I actually watched to see what he was viewing. Thankfully, no pertinent questions followed). We all have fun playing soccer in the backyard, and playing 'Three of a Crime' (a card game) whilst lazing around on our living room rug.

Christmas was actually very easy this year - cold meats and salads, no fussing, no family tensions ..... lovely! My dear Fatty gave me a book on creative writing which I am devouring. It's amazing how some simple advice has made me want to write, write, write. I am scribbling away secretively. We shall see whether anything worthwhile comes out!

Now it is well and truly 2009. I hope you have all had some time to relax over the holiday season. Thank you for reading my blog and for all your kind, funny and interesting comments.

I wish you each a year full of happiness.

18 comments:

Nestor Family said...

Happy, happy to you, too, Jelly!

Enjoy and have fun writing!!! I just know you will turn out the most amazing stuff!

John Cowart said...

I have nothing kind, funny or interesting to say, but I'm glad to see you back posting. You've been missed.

Puss-in-Boots said...

Hi Jelly, good to see you back again and it sounds as if you had a lovely relaxing time...unlike some! (Ahem). I went to my GP the other day and he asked me how I felt. "Tired" I replied. He looked at me with eyebrows raised. "Er, I've been burning the candle at both ends", said I. He laughed.

Good luck with the scribbling...I have one of those books. Aren't they great?

Motherkitty said...

Happy New Year 2009 to you, dear Jellyhead and to your lovely family.
I wish you only the best.

Writing for you should come naturally as you have a natural talent for expression that we all love. I wish I was that inventive when it comes to my writing. Too many things on my mind at once, I think.

Keep up the good work and glad you enjoyed your time with the children. Being a wife and mother is the most important job you can have, next to being a great GP.

Michelle said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too Jelly.
Glad you have had some relaxing time at home.
Shelly
PS. Let me know when the book launch will be - i'll fly up 'specially!!

Stomper Girl said...

Happy New Year Jellyhead! Great to hear that Christmas was relaxing, I'm always releieved that the mad lead-up crests into a chilled-out day.

I'd fly for a book-launch too!

Mary said...

It is the most wonderful feeling when your passion for something is stirred and shaken by something inspirational.

Sounds like the holidays are going well - may that continue!

Pam said...

Happy New Year; glad to have you back. Worrying does no good, I tell myself; yet secretly I believe that the things you worry about don't happen, so I like to get all the worst problems covered by concentrated anxiety.

Heather said...

Happy New Year, dear friend. I can't wait until New Year's 1010 when I can say,"This is the year I get to hang out with Jelly!"

Susan Tidwell said...

Hi Jelly, long time no see. I am thinking of your brother and sending good thoughts his way for his safety and speedy return home. The book you received sounds interesting, what is the title? Your posts already exhibit creative writing, looking forward to seeing what the next step will be in your writing, we are all waiting expectantly.

I hope you and your family have a great New Year!

Mackey said...

Happy new year to you my sweet Jellyheaded friend=)
I hope that 2009 is da' bomb for you!!!!

Jellyhead said...

Susan, the book is called 'The Everything Creative Writing Book' by Carol Whiteley. I think it's pretty basic, but at my level, that's exactly what I need! It's a great resource for the beginner writer.

thisisme said...

Jelly, wishing you and the whole family a safe and happy 2009. It is always good to see you posting. Can't wait to see the results of your scribbling.

meggie said...

I wish you the same Jelly! Hope your writing is shared with us, or some of it, at least!

Cindy said...

I love the way you start this blog with both the excitment and fear as the new year approaches. I feel the same way. Not the way I want to feel, but I do...I suppose it's the fear of what could happen, what might, and mostly what I don't know will!!! Happy 2009~blessings for an abundant and healthy year :)

Alipurr said...

I absolutely love your blog, and reading your thoughts. Your holiday sounds nice and peaceful. I like the no fuss foods. Children grow up so quickly, and it is nice to have that holiday quiet time to sit down and just relax with them.

Kerri said...

I felt sure I'd commented on this post way back when you wrote it, and I see I've missed commenting on several others. I must've read them in bloglines when I was half asleep and forgotten to go over and comment in the morning. I do that sometimes.
What a thoughtful gift Fatty gave you. Your writing is always creative and beautiful Jelly...just like you :)
I hope you and your sweet family have a wonderfully happy and healthy 2009.

Dragonfly said...

Happy new year! All the best for 2009.