Saturday, April 21, 2007

love story

I watched Pride and Prejudice (the 2006 movie) the other night on DVD. Others have told me that the movie is far inferior to the TV series, but, having never seen the series, I can only discuss the movie. Which I loved (romantic fool that I am!).

Fatty watched with me, and in fact it was he who bought the DVD for us to watch. Fatty is a blokey bloke who loves football, doesn't listen well, and forgets his friends' birthdays. Yet he has another side to him - he enjoys a good drama, especially poignant ones. Like me, he finds human relationships interesting to observe on screen.

There we sat on our smallish couch, glued to the scenes of love torn asunder and of unrequited love. We were riveted. It was all so windswept, so passionate, so .... utterly romantic. I kept glancing across at my kind, crinkly-eyed, handsome husband and thinking how glad I am that he asked me out, that he fell in love with me, too; how happy I am that he wanted to marry me.

I like to think that most people have their own love story - even if was a love that eventually died. Even if the memories have faded, or the love has become a little stale, the embers remain. I believe that almost everyone has felt that deep and overwhelming emotion at some time in their life.

Sometimes, being married becomes a habit, becomes humdrum and routine. I forget to thank my lucky stars that not only did I meet a caring, cute and clever man - he also (woo-hoo!) thought I was not so bad either. Watching the tortured agony of thwarted love onscreen reminded me to be grateful. I hugged Fatty tight and held his hand. I remembered that our little love story began with fireworks but goes on with daily affection and constancy. I remembered that the spark is still there, and merely needs fanning from time to time.

Thank goodness for Fatty. He is my one and only.

15 comments:

Heather said...

Awwww, Jelly!

It's nice to remind ourselves why we are with the ones we are with, isn't it?

Heather said...

PS Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books of all time.

Mackey said...

I am also blessed with the Love of me Life. Never take love for granted....you must always fan those flames.
Besides..finding new ways to fan can be fun;)
TTFN!

thisisme said...

What a gorgeous post Jelly

John Cowart said...

What a happy post!
Who can read it without rejoicing with you two?
Love is grand.

TUFFENUF said...

What a sweet post, makes me smile. There is such a calm contentment with long time love. It is strong enough to weather any storm but I'm hoping you always have good weather!

Motherkitty said...

Jellyhead, dear, that was such a sweet, poignant post. Your Fatty is such a lucky fellow for having picked you. I wish you many more years of wedded bliss.

Kerri said...

Awwww, that's so sweet! I'm so glad you found each other and are very content together.
I'm going to have to borrow that DVD from the library. We'll see if it stirs up similar feelings between Ross and I after our 36 years together :)
Like you with Fatty, I do appreciate my hubby day by day.
Thanks for sharing those lovely thoughts Jelly. xox

rel said...

Jelly,
Just one more reason why I think you're the greatest.

PS. Fatty is my kinda man too. ;-)
rel

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Jelly your post made me smile and I'm glad that you & fatty found each other. Yes, we do need to fan those smoldering embers once in a while and get that flame going from time to time.

meggie said...

What lovely post!
We are surely lucky, & I remind myself that it seems a frightening gamble at the beginning. But like you, it has worked for us, & I count my blessings, too.

Alice said...

Jelly - that was such a lovely posting. It's wonderful that you and Fatty are so compatible where it counts, despite your differences.

I think we all need reminding from time to time to be thankful for our partners and not take them for granted. Perhaps it's human nature that when everything is going well we forget that it also takes effort and appreciation to keep it that way.

God bless you both, Jelly.

Susan Tidwell said...

Well, everyone who commented before me has used up all the "Awwwws" and "how sweets"...

Just remember this feeling the next time he gets on your nerves! Ain't love grand!

Princess Banter said...

Awwww, sweetness :) Pride and Prejudice will always be a classic -- no matter how many times the plot is regurgitated! The original will always be the best :)

Michelle said...

AWWWWW!! That is lovely - no really lovely Jelly!!! I am so glad you and your Fatty are so happily blessed!!
I feel very lucky too and often think is it normal to still be so passionately in love with someone after 12 years!!!
We actually went out the other night for dinner and then to a flash bar for cocktails after. We really were just enjoying each others company and I then said "Maybe we should talk more so it doesn't look obvious that we have 3 kids and have been married for nearly 11 years!!" - but we didn't need to talk much - we watched other people starting out as we had and talked about how we are happier where we are now!