Sunday, October 30, 2005

mundane mutterings about marriage


When you really think about it, it's amazing how many people do stay married. Marriage is hard work, plain and simple. And I know that Fatty is a great guy, probably easier to live with than many other men....and yet... sometimes, I find being marriage to be intensely frustrating (as I'm sure Fatty does). We are pretty good at talking, trying to see each others point of view, and staying calm (OK really it ranges from calm to fairly irritated and snappy!). The problem is, what do you do when you both listen to each other, you talk it through, you try to understand each other ...but still you disagree. It's hard to get past. It's depressing and kind of lonely. I know - compromise, compromise - but what if it is about something you feel strongly about, such as an issue relating to the health or safety of your kids? I find it hard to compromise then. I want to just say NO NO NO and that's that. Now you're getting a glimpse into my true nature. I think I'm quite strong-willed (i.e. stubborn) and decisive (i.e. bossy). So that's probably something I need to work on. Sigh. More work, just what I need!

I know I have much to be thankful for, and I am thankful. I just felt like having a moan and whine. After all, blogs are good for that sometimes. So anyone who wants to have a guilt-free whine, feel free to join in. I won't think you're self-involved or ungrateful. This can be a little group therapy session. And then we can all start the new week happy and peaceful!

P.S. the photo was taken on a weekend away we spent near a lake... just put it in because it's pretty, and to add a more positive vibe!

6 comments:

Mackey said...

That pic is beautiful!
I,like you, am bossy. Not really stubborn though.(O.K. Maybe a teensy bit)lol
Sounds like you & Fatty love each other very much despite your shortcomings.

Heather said...

I know what you mean. I have a great husband, but there are days . . .

Blogs are great for venting!

Jellyhead said...

Thanks for the supportive comments everybody. I'm over my bad mood now!

Heather, can I just mention that lately whenever I go to look at your blog, there seems to be some of the most recent post missing (the lower part), and therefore there is no comments section. I don't know why, or if this is something others are experiencing? Anyway will keep checking in at your blog. Have a great week!

Heather said...

Jelly,

If you are using Internet Explorer, you will have to use the scroll box on the right to read my entire post and comment. In Firefox, it looks perfect. I don't know why Internet Explorer is so janky!

Heather said...

OK. I think I fixed it where you can at least read the last two or three posts. I can't figure out how to take off the entire scrollbar without screwing up the whole page, but I was able to make the box longer. I am such an amateur when it comes to template writing!

Susan Tidwell said...

Posted comment earlier, but did not come through I guess, so if you got this already, disregard!

Marriage is hard, especially with pressures of raising little ones and jobs etc., but it is worth it. Been married 32 years to the same guy, kids are gone now, great times. Just hang in there!